Founded in 1986 by Howard Serwer, Paul Traver, and J. Merrill Knapp, The American Handel Society seeks to foster study of the life, works, and times of George Frideric Handel, and to encourage and support the performance of his music. To that end, The American Handel Society:
· Sponsors a conference and festival every 2 years, featuring papers and panel discussions by an international gathering of scholars and performers.
· Presents the Howard Serwer Lecture, given by a distinguished scholar, at the AHS Conference and Festival.
· Supports the Paul Traver Memorial Concert at the AHS Conference and Festival by offering financial and organizational assistance.
· Nominates two members to the Editorial Board of the Hallische Händel-Ausgabe.
· Offers the J. Merrill Knapp Research Fellowship, a grant for advanced graduate students and scholars in the early stages of their careers to support work in Handel studies or related fields.
President: Graydon Beeks
Vice President: Nathan Link
Secretary/Treasurer: Marjorie Pomeroy
Board of Directiors:
Corbett Bazler; Graydon Beeks; Norbert Dubowy; Roger Freitas; William Gudger*; Ellen Harris; Wendy Heller; David Hurley; Robert Ketterer; Richard King; Lowell Lindgren*; Nathan Link; Nicholas McGegan*; Ken Nott; Marjorie Pomeroy; John Roberts; Marty Ronish; Ellen Rosand; Minji Kim (Newlestter Editor)
* Honorary member